Download free Kilometri.bg mobile app for Android

"Rusokastro" Fortress

Rusokastro Fortress is a medieval fortification located in the Burgas region, about 30 km from the city of Burgas. The fortress occupies a strategic location on top of a rocky hill. Its area is 35 decares. The hill is naturally protected on three sides by the Rusokastrenska River flowing next to it. The interior of the fortress is dotted with various buildings, including a church, barracks and water tanks. Among the most interesting finds unearthed during the excavations were a tablet of a Thracian horseman, and a lead seal of King Peter with the face of Christ. [...]
Text: Nedyalko Mihalev | Photos: Nedyalko Mihalev

Asara Fortress

The Thracian and medieval fortress of Asara is located on a hill of the same name, about 1.8 km southwest of the village of Zvezdel. It was built in the 11th-12th century. One of the four towers of the medieval fortress is partially preserved. There is a carved trapezoidal altar and a tomb in the fortress. The Asara fortification was used to guard the mine, which produced gold and silver. A dirt road separates from the road to the Zvezdel mine and leads to a small clearing at the bottom of the hill. A trodden path leads up from the clearing to the fortress. From the top, where the Asara fortress is located, there is a view of the Eastern Rhodopes. [...]
Text: Nedyalko Mihalev | Photos: Nedyalko Mihalev

"Kokalyanski Urvich" Fortress

The fortress "Kokalyanski Urvich" is a medieval fortification located in the Plan Mountain. It is located 20 km from Sofia, after Pancharevo in the direction of Samokov. The fortress dates back to the Second Bulgarian Kingdom, in particular to the period between the 13th and 14th centuries.
The fortress was built on a naturally protected terrain surrounded by rocky slopes and deep ravines. The main purpose of the fortress was to protect the road from Serdika (today's Sofia) to the Samokovo field and the Rila Mountain.
Archaeological research has revealed the remains of living quarters, defensive towers, churches and a necropolis in the area of the fortress. One of the main sights is the Church of St. Elias, which is well preserved and dates back to the 14th century. Its walls are made of rubble stone and mortar. [...]
Text: Nedyalko Mihalev | Photos: Nedyalko Mihalev

"Medzhidi tabiya" Fortress

"Medzhidi tabiya" fortress was built in the period 1841 - 1853. It is located on one of the beautiful hills near the town of Silistra, in the immediate vicinity of the television tower. The fortress was built by forcibly gathered 300 Bulgarians, who were then exiled to Anatolia in order not to reveal the secret. Today, in the visitor's part of the fortress, you will see well-preserved corridors, tunnels, bunkers and hidden niches, and in a separate part of the premises and in the courtyard, interesting archival and weapons exhibits are exhibited. The fortress wall has the shape of a hexagon and reaches a height of up to 8 m. Immediately next to it there is a moat, which served both as an obstacle and as a disguise. The fortress was effectively used during the Crimean War. Later, military actions and fierce battles were fought here during the Russo-Turkish War of Independence. [...]
Text: Nedyalko Mihalev | Photos: Nedyalko Mihalev
Every hundred feet the world changes! Roberto Bolaño